- This topic has 1 voice and 2 replies.
August 15, 2014 at 10:48 am #18659
WHAT DOES AVE MEAN?
AVE is Latin means salve or hail, more modern meaning is be glad, rejoice. Was a way of greeting in those days, especially among the Greek speaking peoples.
Ave Maria are the first two words of the Latin version of a prayer in the Roman Catholic Church, based on the salutation of the angel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary and the words of Elizabeth to her.
The Ave Maria was composed in about 1825 by Franz Schubert (1797-1828) when he was twenty-eight years old and filled with devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It was written for voice and piano and first Published in 1826 as Op 52 no 6. The words most commonly used with Schubert’s music are not the words that the composer originally set to music.
August 15, 2014 at 10:52 am #28102
Today 15th August the church celebrates the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
A few things that you probably didn’t know about Mother Mary.
1. Joachim was a very wealthy and pious man from Nazareth. He married Anna who was born in Bethlehem. Both were of the tribe of Judah, and descendants of King David. They remained childless into their old age, fifty years after they married. They made a vow to the lord that if He granted them offspring, they would dedicate it to the service of God.
2. Mary’s date of birth is unknown but it is celebrated every 8th of September.
3. Her mother found out that Mary was already walking at 6 months.
4. When she turned three years old, she would be sent to the Temple to be educated. At the temple steps, a halo of light encircled the blessed child and filled her with joy, and she danced before walking in.
5. The priest Zaccharia responsible for her at the temple was very impressed by Mary’s wisdom from a very young age.
6. When Mary turned fourteen, an angel appeared to Zaccharia in a dream and said, “Tomorrow have each suitor bring with him a staff. The Holy Spirit will give a sign as to who shall be Mary’s husband.”
7. The next day the suitors crowded into the Temple, each holding a staff in his hand. Kneeling, they prayed for a sign. All at once, a lily was seen to bloom from the staff held by the widower Joseph, a builder and carpenter. Then a snow-white dove alighted upon the staff before flying off.
8. The angel Gabriel announced to her on the first stage of Jewish marriage that she was to be the mother of the promised Messiah by conceiving Him through the Holy Spirit.
9. She was 14 years old when she was engaged to Joseph and 15 when she gave birth to Jesus.
10. Mary is both identified in the New Testament and in the Quran as the mother of Jesus through divine intervention.
11. Mary, the mother of Jesus, is mentioned as Maryam, more in the Quran than in the entire New Testament.
12. Mary enjoys a singularly distinguished and honored position among women in Quran. A chapter in the Qur’an is titled “Maryam”, which is the only Sura or chapter in the Qur’an named after a woman.
13. Mary Died at the age of 59 surrounded by the apostles. Three days later she rose and taken to heaven.
14. The Christian doctrine of Perpetual Virginity holds that Mary remained a virgin all her life, even after the act of giving birth to Jesus.
Happy feasting day to all Marys – Marias, and Marions
Happy Mary’s Assumption to everyone.August 15, 2014 at 10:53 am #28103
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.