The Word of God Today

• This topic has 15 voices and 228 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 229 total)
  • Author
    JjuukoJjuuko
    Participant

‘Know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.’

Proverbs 15:27-30

A greedy man brings trouble to his family,
    but he who hates bribes will live.

The heart of the righteous weighs its answers,
    but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil.

The LORD is far from the wicked
    but he hears the prayer of the righteous.

A cheerful look brings joy to the heart,
    and good news gives health to the bones.

JjuukoJjuuko
    Participant

Debunking marriage myths

Marriage myth 3:

The myth of ‘the full box,’ suggests that when we marry we inherit a big box filled with self-replacing good things, guaranteeing effortless unending marital bliss. This box is supposed to contain romance, physical fulfilment, generosity, true love, and being served ‘in the style to which we’ve become accustomed.’ Ideally, we can dip in and take what we want from a never-depleted supply. Instant, low-maintenance satisfaction guaranteed! And it seems to work initially, so we believe the myth. Until one rainy day we dip into the box and come up empty. At that point we feel shock, disappointment, anger, despair and hopelessness and conclude that our partner failed, fooled or forsook us. Why else would the box be empty? At that point the myth suggests, ‘It’s time to find another box!’ Or you could listen to the liberating truth:
    a) marriage is a big box, an empty one. Your job is to make enough deposits to guarantee sufficient withdrawals for a rich relationship. Jesus said: ‘…The amount you give will determine the amount you get back’
    b) you must start by asking, ‘What would I like to have in the box?’ Then you deposit that into the box. Then you ask, ‘How much of it do I want in the box?’ Then you deposit enough to generate that amount. You see, the box is only a container; it didn’t fail and you didn’t get a bad box. You are the owner of the box, not its victim.
    Accepting this truth frees you to make your marriage rich and rewarding by becoming a giver, not just a taker!

Omukama abakume!

JjuukoJjuuko
    Participant

Debunking marriage myths (4)
    15 Jul 2009

Marriage myth 4:

The myth of the ‘marriage-go-round,’ says you can hop on and off marriages when you’re bored, discontented, stressed out, or get a better offer. Today we’re conditioned to instant gratification. If we don’t like the rules we’ll take our ball to another playground. We’re a ‘disposable’ society; whatever doesn’t perform satisfactorily will be replaced rather than repaired. Tragically, we transfer this mentality to our relationships and replace the people in our lives who don’t play the game our way. Each generation becomes less likely to be tolerant, patient, hard-working, flexible and creative in marriage, and more likely to trade in what they’re unwilling to work on. The myth of the marriage-go-round tells us we don’t have to grapple with our marital issues. Just replace it! But the truth reveals that the myth doesn’t work. Over 50% of first marriages end in divorce, 65% of second ones, and more than 70% of third ones. Clearly, when it comes to marriage, the more we do it the worse we get at it! In fact, with few exceptions, the painful numbers indicate that statistically you have a better chance of finding happiness in your current marriage with all its challenges than if you move on to another one. God’s way is your best option. Always! When He says, ‘…[whom] God hath joined together, let no man put asunder’ He intends that in working and growing through the obstacles and opportunities of your marriage, you’ll become a better partner and end up building a happier marriage!

Omukama abere nammwe..!

TontoTonto
    Participant

Unanswered Prayers

theprayinghands.jpg

You ask but do not receive… – James 4:3 NKJV

Pastor Jerry Sittser writes: ‘What would happen if all our prayers were answered? I thought about my early years when I was ready to conquer the world, with or without Christ.

The group I led grew, I was riding a wave of success, everything I touched turned to gold. Eventually the ministry levelled off and lost momentum. Thank God it did… I’d become insufferably proud, a self-appointed expert.

What would’ve happened if my prayers had been answered, our group had continued to grow and our programme had continued to receive recognition?’

James says, ‘You ask but do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives.’ There are certain prayers God won’t answer for your own good.

Sittser continues: ‘Your cause may be right, but you may still be wrong; manifesting pride, gloating in victory, punishing wrongdoers with excessive severity and excusing sin.

The great hazard for people on a crusade is… they become blind to their own faults. They fight for civil rights but treat… janitors like second-class citizens.

They uphold standards of biblical sexuality, but show little grace towards their spouse.

Unanswered prayer is God’s gift… it protects us from ourselves. If all our prayers were answered we’d abuse the power… use prayer to change the world to our liking, and it would become hell on earth.

Like spoiled children with too many toys and too much money, we’d grab for more. We’d pray for victory at the expense of others… intoxicated by power… we’d hurt people and exalt ourselves. Isaiah said, ‘The Lord longs to be gracious to you… therefore He waits… ‘ (Isaiah 30:18 NAS).

Unanswered prayer protects… breaks… deepens… and transforms. Past unanswered prayers which left us hurt and disillusioned, act like a refiner’s fire to prepare us for future answers.’

OmumbejjaOmumbejja
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qxs0sfURZM

Verse
    I wish I could tell you just what I want,
    And you give it to me just like that
    The truth of the matter
    What I want just might hurt me
    And you won’t let me go out like that
    You know my end before my beginning
    Calculated blessings down to the penny
    So I’ll cry ’til you tell me, “Let it go, let it be” cause
    Oh, Lord, Lord Your will is what’s best for me.
    Verse
    No rubies, no diamonds, no silver or no pearls
    There are some lessons that I had to learn
    That I would not trade in for this world
    You told me that my trials Only come to make me strong
    And with this you promised, you promised never to leave me alone.

So I’ll cry til you tell me, “Let it go, let it be”
    oh,oh, oh Lord Your will is what’s best for me.

Your word is true, and it will last You will guide the future as you have the past.

There are times that I cannot see, but I know that I know that I know it’s so
    You love me more, You love me more than I’ll ever know

So I’ll cry til you tell me, “Let it go let it be
    oh,oh,oh, Lord, Your will is what’s best for me.

MugerekaMugereka
    Participant

Amen.

Pastor otugambye ekigambo ekilungi, otulisiza omwoyo Omumbeja webale kutukutiliriza.

KalibattanyaKalibattanya
    Participant

Testimony:

The word of God today; “Unanswered Prayers” came as an answer to my prayer. At first I didn’t realise it, so now I am thinking that maybe we sometimes take negative answers for non answers?

Then I recieved this “foward” email from my nephew.

Sometimes we wonder, ‘What did I do to deserve this?’ or ‘Why did God have to do this to me?’ Here is a wonderful explanation!

A daughter is telling her mother how everything is going wrong: she’s failing algebra; her boyfriend broke up with her and her best friend is moving away..

Meanwhile, her Mother is baking a cake and asks her daughter if she would like a snack, and the daughter says, ‘Absolutely, Mom, I love your cake.’

‘Here, have some cooking oil,’ her Mother offers. ‘Yuck,’ says her daughter..

‘How about a couple raw eggs?’ ‘Gross, Mom!’

‘Would you like some flour then? Or maybe baking soda?’

‘Mom, those are all yucky!’

To which the mother replies: ‘Yes, all those things seem bad by themselves. But when they are put together in the right way, they make a wonderfully delicious cake!

God works the same way. Many times we wonder why He would let us go through such bad and difficult times. But God knows that when He puts these things all in His order, they always work for good! We just have to trust Him and, eventually, they will all make something wonderful!

God is crazy about you. He sends you flowers every spring and a sunrise every morning. Whenever you want to talk, He’ll listen. He can live anywhere in the universe, and He chose your heart.

If you like this, send this on to the people you really care about. I did .

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Well, I thank you Pastor and New choir Mistress. God bless you.

MulongoMulongo
    Participant

Why Do You Call Me Good?
    Let’s look at Mark 10:17-22.

As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
    “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good-except God alone. You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.'”
    “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”
    Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
    At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.

Matthew 19:20 tells us that the man was young, and Luke 18:18 tells us the man was from a ruling class. Yet with all his advantages, he wanted something he didn’t have. He wanted God. Jesus responded to the man’s question with tenderness and asked a question of his own, “Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.”

But we know that Jesus is God. So what did this question mean for this young man, and for us today? If we know that Jesus is God, why don’t we believe Him, why don’t we follow Him? We learn in verse 21 that Jesus looked at this young “privileged” man and loved him. Many people who have wealth and other advantages are looked upon with envy rather than love. It is possible that this wealthy young man was never certain if others truly loved him for who he was or if they merely wanted something from him. Jesus wanted nothing from him; he simply looked at him and did so with obvious love.

This story got me thinking about the Baganda and how people use to talk about their hospitality, good nature and culture of wisdom. The Baganda are proud of these their traditions too, which are evident because of the many foreigners living among them. But there are many still, especially those in the neighborhood, who argue that the Baganda are not trustworthy, and have a bad history of bad manners. I would say, that God knows his people best, he created each nation. But we have a lesson from the young man in the scripture,he went to Jesus about what he needed, not the abudancy of what he had already. The same applies to the Baganda, it’s advisable for us not to dwell on what we think we have been blessed with, but with what more we need from God. Because there is always something humans need from their creator.

God cannot be contested or opposed. You can envy his goodness, you can not like him, but you can’t hurt him. So it’s advisable to depend on him for our safety. And though being hospitable and assimilative and all that is good, we must know what are the priorities if we want to gain a life near him. And that’s by obeying the Lord’s commandments. Helping the poor and displaced comes after that.

Our enemies are trying to derail us, telling us we don’t come from God, telling us we are no good, telling us they’ll kill us. Some may even try to flatter, hoping to make us feel safe around them before they turn to strike us. The enemy had many means, but fortunately our God is much much stronger. So let’s stand by him, and he’ll show us the way. Amen

OmumbejjaOmumbejja
    Participant

Thanks for the word today lets complete it with this song

MulongoMulongo
    Participant

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
    As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be.
    World without end. Amen

The Calling of the First Disciples
    PART ONE

Luke 5:1-11 NIV

1One day as Jesus was standing by the Sea of Galilee with the people crowding around him and listening to the word of God, 2he saw at the water’s edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. 3He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.
    4When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.”
    5Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.”
    6When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. 7So they signalled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.
    8When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” 9For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners.
    Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will catch men.” 11So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.

Luke gives us the longest account of this story. According to Matthew 4:18-19 and Mark 1:16-17, the very first words of Jesus when he met Simon Peter and his brother Andrew on the shores of the Sea of Galilee were “Follow me, and I will make you a fisher of men.” Without doubt, this is the punch line of the story. And as it is, Jesus’ very last words to Simon Peter, words spoken just before he was taken up into heaven, words spoken after Peter and the others had been his daily companions for three years, were virtually the same as the first: “Feed my sheep, Follow me.”

Our calling – the calling of every single person here – and the call that is extended to all of God’s children is the same as that of Peter.

Follow me and I will make you fishers of men.
    Follow me and feed my sheep.

We have a twofold calling – you and I.

1. We are called to be disciples – to be ones who walk with Jesus and who learn from him.
    2. We are called to be apostles – to be ones who go forth and in the particular way that God gifts us for, act as Christ’s ambassadors in the world.

MulongoMulongo
    Participant

The Calling of the First Disciples
    PART TWO

So Jesus wants to make us “fishers of men.” How?
    1. Sow the Word of God. “Preach the WORD…”
    2. Listen for and obey the Lord’s leading to cast the net.
    3. Persevere in casting the net. Don’t give up.
    4. “Body ministry” is needed — each of us doing his/her part.
    5. Remain flexible and willing to cast the net “on the other side” as the Lord directs.

Now let’s pray;

God of Glory, Lord of Love, Father of us all, You sent Your Son into the world to proclaim Your kingdom and to teach with authority, and to open the way of peace and wholeness to all people. Anoint us in this time of worship with the power of Your Holy Spirit, that we, too, may bring good news to the afflicted, that we may be empowered to bind up the broken hearted and to fearlessly proclaim liberty to the captive. Bless us with your word, shine upon us with your wisdom, and bring us into deeper communion with you and one another. And please Lord, we pray that our Pastor Tonto is all right, and that he finds some time to come back to feed your sheep. We pray to you through Your son Christ Jesus, our Lord and our Saviour. Amen.

OmumbejjaOmumbejja
    Participant

Thanks for the word of God Mulongo

MulongoMulongo
    Participant

Glory be to God.
    Thanks for the nice words Omumbejja. Let’s hope the Pastor will show up next weekend.

KalibattanyaKalibattanya
    Participant

Amen.

Bannange mwebale kusabira Pastor waffe, kubanga tuludde nnyo okumulabako. Amulabako amugambe nti tumulinze, oluwummula lwaweddeko.

KalibattanyaKalibattanya
    Participant

Nga bwetulinda Pastor waffe, kangira ndetaayo akayimba tuyimbeko ku Yesu Omusumba waffe.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 229 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.